Purpose of the Young Adults Group
Lake Shrine Temple’s Young Adult Group offers spiritual fellowship and service opportunities for those between the ages of 18-39.
Our purpose is
- (1) to provide an environment of fellowship for the disciples and friends of Paramahansa Yogananda;
- (2) to create a gathering where young adults can share and express the triumphs and struggles of a spiritually inspired life;
- (3) to provide a sense of community and understanding for those seeking life’s noblest pursuits;
- (4) to cultivate an environment where each of us can accelerate our spiritual growth.
The Young Adults Group Meetings
The meetings begin and end with a short meditation and cover a wide spectrum of spiritual topics. Our goal is to connect with spiritual friends, old and new, as we cultivate our own, deep and personal, living relationship with God. Meetings are held on the first Sunday of the month, from 12:30p.m. to 2:00p.m. We also offer periodic special events, excursions, and spiritual retreats. Announcements about our upcoming meetings and events are sent out via email.
Young Adults Group Steering Committee
The Young Adult Group Steering Committee (YASC) assists with the organization and facilitation of meetings and special events. If you have any questions, would like to be added to our mailing list, or would like to serve on our committee, please contact YASC via email: , or call Lake Shrine Temple: (310) 454-4114.
LAKE SHRINE TEMPLE YOUNG ADULTS 2013 CALENDAR
Meetings : Held the 1st Sunday of the month at 12:30
- April 7th – Presentations by Professionals: Garth Sheriff
- May 5th -Introspection Workshop with Bro. Ritananda
- June 2nd – Hiking
- July 7th – Convocation Presentation & Group Discussion
- August 3rd – (Saturday) Temple day of Service 8:45a.m. - 1:30p.m. (No Sunday meeting)
- September 1st – Satsanga with Bro. Satyananda
- November 3rd -Presentations by Professionals: Yvette Gills
- December 1st – Conscious Relaxation Workshop with Bro. Satyananda
- January 5th – Autobiography of a Yogi Game Show
- June 15th - Cook out: Learn to cook Indian food under Geetha Iyer’s guidance, while preparing a delicious meal for the monastics.
- July 13th -Temple Retreat for Young Adults
- September 7th - Volunteer at India Night
- November 3rd - Volunteer to wrap gifts for foster children
- December 7th - Volunteer at Christmas Party
- December 31st – Host New Year’s Eve Meditation
Details about the Young Adult Meetings
Presentations by Professionals - This will be an interactive event presented by professionals who are on the SRF path. It will consist of presentation / personal sharing by the professionals on aspects of their lives: how they manage family, career, and temple service; the challenges they face at work; advice they can offer to young adults, and other pertinent topics. There will be a Q&A during the second half of the meeting, so that
you can ask questions on areas of your interest.
Workshops - These workshops are designed to give you a hands-on experience in developing a spiritual quality. We will start with an introduction and a discussion on how to develop that spiritual quality, followed by a conducted session with a monastic. Then we will have time to share our experiences.
Satsanga - Satsanga (literally 'fellowship with truth') is a question and answer session where we get to ask questions about our spiritual and personal lives that will be answered by the monastic conducting the session.
Convocation Presentation – SRF holds hold convocation every year in August where thousands of people from around the world gather for a profoundly inspiring week of spiritual renewal and fellowship. We will be presenting a slide show of previous convocations followed by a group discussion.